This week make your study team and teaching strategy focus Teammates Consult. This strategy is especially helpful if some of your students are not committed to the team approach. It is also a good strategy to use if you find students are consistently slow at getting started with the lesson.
Teammates Consult (Pencils in the Middle)
- All pencils and calculators are set aside (or in the middle of the table/work space).
- Students read the problem or question (aloud is best).
- Give students individual think time.
- The team discusses the problem to clarify what it is asking.
- Possible strategies are devised and shared orally.
- The teacher indicates when pencils may be picked up and the written work should begin.